Tuesday 10 February 2009

Training Course - Leadership

Hi Guys!

So plenty of us were on a training course today. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Normally I feel these training courses are going to be full of "soft skills" that have no real world relevance.

I'll be honest, I didn't really want more information on ball dropping. I think you know what I mean.

Lets start with the good.

The training course did give us some interesting material to look at. Even though I reckoned that 20 questions could tell me not too much I didn't know about myself, it was interesting to see my behaviours profiled. Sure, I ended up being a certified an emotionless data hungry monster, but it was interesting to see how other people would perceive me. I think at least 3 people at my table labelled me as a green within about 30 seconds!

Still, that was interesting. I mean I learned how people may think of me! What was interesting from the presentations back from the groups was that not one person said that they strongly disagreed with the behavioural profile. Some people may have disagreed, but no disagreement was presented back.

Maybe their 20 questions were unerringly accurate.

I also enjoyed the discussion around influential leaders. Sure, every table had at least one mention of Barrack Obama and Gordon brown, but there were some examples of interesting inspirational leaders.

From my perspective, some people identified leaders who would be classified as "born leaders". As I recalled, these guys seemed to later on fall into the red category on the behavioural profile. Martin Johnson and, controversially, Kevin Keegan. I would say that these same guys had Gordon Brown as a bad leader.

Then there were the more personal leaders identified - leaders who were particularly relevant to the that one person. I am not saying there is a direct correlation, but these guys then later on seemed to end up in the Blue behavioural profile section.

Finally, my own personal choice was directly reflected in the green section. With Ayrton Senna and Richard Dawkins as my inspirational leaders, it was two independent, factually driven and analytical leaders. I would love to see the statistics of where every one else fitted in with their personal choice of leaders and whether or not their choices reflected their placement on the behavioural chart.

If I wanted to get really metaphysical, I may be inclined to ask whether people filled in that survey describing who they are or who they want to be. To be honest, for me it was probably a bit of both.

And the gent who chose Major Winters from Band of Brothers got it spot on - his leadership was defined by his impact in his absence.

A bit cliched, but probably true.

I guess the moral of the story today was that the rubbish opening video and the ropey activity that had one group making tea did not hide the fact that we had a great opportunity to look at what people inspire others, and ask why different people inspired ourselves.

It was an interesting day.

Finally, it was great to return to rugby. Why there is such an appeal to get people to rugby when it is snowing quite escapes me. BUT, lets be honest, at least coming from London I was headed True North.

Kindest,

Dante

No comments:

Post a Comment